Saturday 10 August 2013

McSvHost.exe cripples my PC

I'm running the latest version of Mcafee Security Center. After the January 19, 2010 update, the process  McSvHost.exe (which is actually a McAfee process) randomly fluctuates from up to 50% of my processor time to 0%. Once this happens (usually after a few hours of the PC being booted up), it cannot be stopped unless I temporarily disable my wireless network adapter. Apart from it being annoying, it also has a very real impact on my PC's video rendering capabilities, causing uncontrollable stutter in video playback, gaming and every other graphics-intensive process.

A friend of mine has the same problem, only in his case, the McSvHost.exe process starts taking up 50% of CPU immediately after boot-up. Both PCs run WinXP SP3 Professional, with 3GB Ram and fairly new (less than two years) CPUs and even newer GPUs.

I hope this is resolved ASAP, as I am really disappointed that it's been now almost two weeks this has been happening and I am tempted to switch to another security program, that doesn't actually crash my computer.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment