Saturday 10 August 2013

mcshield.exe and 100% CPU still a problem

I do not use Vista so cannot give detailed advice for this OS. I am still getting this problem with XP though, and it is enough to make it impossible to use my computer at times. However, I don't usually have to reboot but just to wait a few minutes when it then clears. But I do think it is still a problem with McAfee and they really ought to fix it one way or another - either with a normal update or with a special patch program. If they don't I am still seriously considering changing to another internet security provider.

I found the anti-spam in two places - one is in the McAfee Internet Security under Web and e-mail protection. When you turn off Anti-spam here you will somewhere (can't remember where) have  to say ignore this.

With Windows XP Professional, Classic setting, which I use, the other place is under Control Panel/Admistration Tools/Services

Here I set the Anti Spam Service to Disabled. Everything else for McAfee I left at the default setting.

Whatever you do you should not turn off McShield even though it is mcshield.exe which produces the 100% CPU usage, as this, as far as I understand, is the main part of the Realtime Scanning.

Derek Shaw


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment