Saturday 10 August 2013

McAfee On-Access Scanner taking up 50-60% of my RAM

Disclaimer : I realize this has been asked various times. I realize I should do a Google Search and/or search of the McAfee forums to see if this has been asked before. Guess what. I have. But the answers to all the other questions I found weren't working for me.

Recently, due to technical issues, I had released my laptop to Best Buy for repairs. They got rid of a multitude of viruses and malware. When I retrieved my laptop, I immediately started playing League of Legends to get my First Win of the Day. (Takes 8-10 minutes) Halfway through the game, my computer started having massive FPS, typically around 0-1. I returned to Best Buy for additional repairs. They took my laptop, repaired as best as they could (they did nothing, as they couldn't find anything). When they called me to tell me this, I returned. Went back home, started League of Legends again, same problem. 0-1 FPS. This occurs when using Google Chrome, as well. So I went back to Best Buy. They told me, "The next step would be a complete system restore to factory settings.", which I know how to do. So I left with my laptop, and gave my thanks.

The following day, I downloaded McAfee, uninstalled MalwareBytes, Norton, and AVG as they conflict with McAfee, and I figured having a firewall is better than AVG. And I don't use Norton. After an entire day if using every program I had available to scan my computer, from CCleaner to Disc Cleanup, I was able to play League of Legends with higher than average FPS. A constant 60, whereas I would otherwise be around 25-30. So I was ecstatic! This was fabulous! A few days later, the problem returned. I opened up the Task Manager to check what was taking up so much RAM, as I was pretty certain I got rid of whatever was causing the problem before. I found out McAfee On-Access Scanner was taking up the majority of my RAM, thus causing the low FPS.

Back to my disclaimer, I had searched Google for help. All the information talked about disabiling the On-Access Scanner through the VSE. I don't have VSE. The closest thing to On-Access Scanner I have is "Real-Time Scanner", which, when disabled, did nothing to solve the issue. I have McAfee Total Protection and McAfee File Lock.

Thank you for your assistance and reading. It's much appreciated.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment